Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center
Legacy Good Samaritan is both a dedicated community leader and a medical center of national acclaim.
Located in the heart of Northwest Portland, Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center was founded in 1875 by the Episcopal Diocese of Oregon. Today, “Good Sam” is a nationally acclaimed medical center that is home to many of Legacy Health’s highly specialized care including:
- Legacy Cancer Institute – Ranked among the nation’s best cancer programs by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer, Legacy Cancer Institute includes some of the region's most recognized surgeons and radiation oncologists as well a team of genetics specialists, nurse navigators, therapists and patient support staff to guide and support patients at every stage of treatment.
- Legacy Devers Eye Institute – Devers is a private, nonprofit clinical and research eye institute that offers comprehensive clinical eye services, conducts world‐renowned research, and pursues an ambitious educational agenda.
- Legacy Weight and Diabetes Institute – Legacy Weight and Diabetes Institute has received numerous awards for meeting the highest standard of care. This well-established program is known for its multi-disciplinary team approach to weight loss, weight management, nutrition and diabetes.
- Heart Care – Good Sam offers a full array of diagnostic and interventional cardiovascular procedures, cardiac rehabilitation and cardiology clinics. Good Sam has also been repeatedly recognized by the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology for its excellent care of heart attack patients.
- Rehabilitation – Patients recovering from a range of conditions including stroke; spinal cord or brain injuries; multiple sclerosis; burn and amputation receive excellent care through Legacy Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon (RIO). RIO offers patients comprehensive medical and rehabilitation services in a caring environment, as well as therapy, skills training and counseling –– all in one location.
- Legacy Transplant Services - From careful pre-transplant monitoring to post-surgical care, Legacy Transplant Services’ strong commitment to quality creates excellent outcomes for transplant patients. Since its inception, Legacy Transplant Services has been a pioneer, performing Oregon’s first transplant on a recipient with HIV and the state’s first laparoscopic kidney donation.
Good Sam is not only known for its renowned physicians and cutting edge technology, it is also a dedicated community partner to the neighborhood it has called home for the past 140 years. From the strong partnerships with schools and faith-based organizations to the numerous wellness programs and health screenings offered throughout the year, Legacy Good Samaritan is committed to making Portland a better, healthier place to live.
Emergency Department Transformation Project
Legacy Good Samaritan officially broke ground in May 2015 on a project that will transform its Emergency Department and also create a new Urgent Care. The project, which is on track to be complete by December 2015, will:
- create Oregon’s first Urgent Care located within an Emergency Department;
- transform the current layout of the Emergency Department to be a more modern, multi-faceted, and efficient space; and
- redesign Legacy Good Samaritan’s façade on Northwest 23rd Avenue.
Our new Emergency Department will have larger private rooms to accommodate modern medical equipment and multiple staff, if needed; separate care pathways to meet the unique needs of certain patient populations such as senior citizens; enhance Legacy Good Samaritan’s façade on northwest 23rd Ave. to include a new well-lit, covered entrance; and offer complimentary valet parking.
Legacy Urgent Care – Good Samaritan
The project will also create Legacy Urgent Care - Good Samaritan - Oregon’s first and only Urgent Care co-located within a hospital Emergency Department. The co-located urgent care is designed with the care and service needs of lower acuity patient but with direct access to the Emergency Department in the event of a more serious medical issue.
Legacy Good Samaritan’s Emergency Department entrance will be temporarily located at Northwest 22nd Avenue and Lovejoy Street.